Sunday, October 28, 2007

High School Sweethearts - 10 years later!


Saturday was the 10 year anniversary of our first date. If I were as awesome as my friend CJ, I would have a picture for each year to commemorate the event...although now that I think of it, that wouldn't work since two of those years Adam was on his mission. :0)
In any case, we basically relived the event. We are back in our hometown, and fate played it so that all the dates aligned perfectly...making it so that we could not help but remember that we've been dating now for ten years. (That's right, married and we still LOVE going out on dates). Our very first date was to our high school homecoming dance. I still remember exactly where Adam asked me - in the front foyer of our school, just after the school day had ended. I was thrilled! He was the "new guy" in the ward, and I was interested to get to know him better. Plus, homecoming this particular year (1997) came with complications for me. It was also concert night for the orchestra I played with, and I was only allowed to miss one concert per season...prom was also the night of a concert, and since I was helping to plan prom it seemed an easy choice about which event took priority. However, Adam solved my dilemma. His mom also played in the orchestra, so he offered to go to the concert and then finish up the night at the school dance. And so it was that I became his first date. Lucky guy! ;0)
We reminisced last night about that first date: how Adam was so nervous about putting the corsage on because he thought he had to pin it on (it was a wrist corsage); going to dinner with a group of friends at the Wride home (I didn't know before that the guys had gathered at 3 PM to make the meal...so sweet); having a bit of "single date" time as we drove to and from the concert together (scandalous!); my thinking about the advice my YW president had given on dating (thank you, Fascinating Womanhood for precious tidbits like 'body language: turn knees toward date to communicate that you are interested in what he is saying'). Most of all, I just remember having fun because I love being with Adam.
This time around, it just so happened that our high school's homecoming fell on the date of yet another symphony concert. These days, I am just playing with the String Workshop to break back into the musical world, but Adam (once again) was a sport and came along for the concert. We dashed off after that to catch the latter half of a friend's Halloween party where the only dancing we did was a "hand jive" to show our stuff during the costume walk-off. Earlier, we had a quick dinner in the Wride home - this time just Pastaroni since we were short on time. Do you see how all of these activities line up so nicely? And...to top it off, we ended the night by going back to my parent's house. Ten years ago, it was to say good night with a quick hug (first date, after all); this time it was to pick up our two sleepy kids (who had a smashing time at Grammy and Grandpa's house, by the way - thank you, Heather, Mom and Dad!).
So...here we are. 10 years later, we are very much in love, still dating, the best of friends, and the parents of two spectacular kiddos. I call myself one lucky lady! I love you, babe.

6 comments:

KW said...

you guys are too stinking cute! stop it. or don't.

Trish and Matt said...

If it wasn't for the wedding ring, I would have guessed that was a pic from 10 years ago!

You guys look great. Marie looks like a model (nothing's changed there!) and Adam ... well, I think maybe he has a bit more of a 5 o'clock shadow than he probably did back in high school. Just a guess.

lori said...

LOVE IT!! So fun to get a little history on how Mr. and Mrs. Wride came to be...
And Marie, did I know you were a musician, and I just forgot? What do you play?

Thanks for sharing the fun story!

Janna said...

What a great post, Marie! That is a cute story... thanks for sharing! And I really do want to get together. If I could just pick up my 100-lb cell phone to call....ugh. :)

7Carters!E,H,V,B,R,C,E said...

No, we definitely didn't spend 5 minutes wondering if this was a new pic or from ten years ago--then we zoomed up and saw the ring too (not to mention Adam's manly 5 o'clock shadow --mine is more of a 5 am shadow the next day...). This is just soo cute and I loved reading it. You guys are awesome!!
-Eric

Marie W said...

Lori - sorry I forgot to respond. I play violin, but I am really just getting back into it regularly. Took a bit of a hiatus in the college years - and a few after that.

That's so funny that I forgot to say which picture this was (it was very clear in my mind, you see) and had ppl guessing about which decade it came from. Way to spot the rock!