Thursday, January 10, 2013

Music

Christmas is a season of glorious music, and playing the carols of the season always helps get me in the Christmas spirit. When Adam returned from Russia (and had a week or so to adjust), we hosted the annual Christmas violin and piano recital. My students played wonderfully, as did my children. Spencer played "Silent Night," "Jingle Bells," and "We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet." Emma played "Chocolate Cake," "Lamb at School," and "Christmas Day." We had a very special audience member; Emma had mentioned to her kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Fay, that she had a piano recital. I got a call on Thursday evening the Saturday before the recital, and Mrs. Fay asked if it was okay for her to come. Of course! She is the most dedicated, wonderful teacher. Emma is one lucky girl to have such a force for good in her life this first important year of school. 

Adam captured this fun panoramic shot of the room on his new iPhone. Big thanks to Spencer and Adam for moving so many chairs and the missionaries from our ward for showing up just as we were ready to put them back.

Another favorite yearly event is the opportunity to play with the Mormon Orchestra of Washington, D.C. at the Festival of Lights. This year, Laura and my dad came to help sing "The Hallelujah Chorus" as the final number in our program. 

Major props and an all-star support award go to Adam, who wrangled his way through the concert with three busy kiddos. Thanks, Grammy, for sitting with our crew and helping to keep everyone settled. 

I spy Jenny and Nathan at the Visitor Center!

My dad snapped this photo of our family after the first concert. 
I love this music-loving group and am happy to claim them as my own.

No comments: