Thursday, October 25, 2012

Violin Time

Today we had a massive GROUP lesson for my violin students. We played through Suzuki Book 1. I set my own order, grouping songs so that my newer students would pop up and down throughout the event. When they weren't playing, I gave them very specific things to watch/listen for or had them play games to keep them engaged (i.e. hide the rosin, which is a lot like warmer colder except we play louder/softer to give hints as to location). It was a very successful and enjoyable afternoon; I was so proud to watch this group of violinists perform. 

Teaching violin has been a major blessing in my life. I started teaching my sister Trina and have slowly added students to my "studio" so that I am now teaching 14 students total. It has been a financial blessing in our lives; when I first took on non-family students, Emma was a baby and Adam had just quit his job at Deloitte to join up with a no-pay entrepreneurial venture. For eight months, we payed tithing on my violin earnings alone. It wasn't much, but boy do I have a testimony of tithing. I have absolutely seen the hand of the Lord in this whole process. Teaching violin has stretched me as a person, taught me much about parenting my own children, helped me keep my hand in teaching (which is a profession I LOVE), and brought music into our home. In addition, my kids get to have fun mini-play dates with the siblings of my students. 

My friend took this photo of a bunch of our girls together at last December's violin recital. This is a great group of friends to have as a support while growing up. 


 Speaking of violin recitals...since I never blogged about it, I think it is worth mentioning that Spencer did an AWESOME job opening the June recital with his piano pieces: "Lightly Row" from Suzuki Bk 1, "Sing, Bird, Sing" from the Bastien Level 1 book, and "Popcorn Popping" accompanied by his WONDERFUL teacher Melaney Tagg. 

It was a pretty full house this June. I think I'm going to have to start looking into alternate venues to fit all the students, friends, and family. 

That's a pretty great problem to have. I love how supportive each family is of their violin student. 
It's also worth a mention that Emma will be performing in her first recital this coming December. She has taken up piano with Melaney Tagg as her teacher. Emma has proven to be a diligent and willing practicer; it is exciting to see her put to use her natural affinity for and interest in music. 

1 comment:

Greg and Michelle said...

This looks like so much fun Marie! From your students' faces, it looks as though they love having you for their teacher :) Keep up the great work! Love you!