Thursday, November 12, 2009

Fun Fall Craft: Leaf Pictures

I love living near my mom. She is a fabulous Grammy, and my kids LOVE to do projects with her. The other day, we made leaf pictures. Emma and Grammy took a leaf walk with Aunt Trina to gather all the colorful supplies necessary. Then, we assembled the leaves into whatever picture or pattern suited us individually. Here are the steps in case this was not one of your childhood crafts:

Step 1: Put leaves on a piece of wax paper in desired arrangement.

Step 2: Put a second piece of wax paper over the top of your leaf picture.

Step 3: (Parents only, please): Put the wax paper and leaves between sheets of newspaper and, using a hot iron, heat the entirety of the leaf picture. Note: Do not leave the iron on too long. A simple once-over will do. Otherwise, the wax paper gets TOO hot and won't stick.

Step 4: Cut the perimeter of the leaf picture to your desired shape.

Step 5: Display with pleasure and pride! I love having leaf pictures decorate our windows in the autumn. Encased in wax paper, the leaves keep their color longer, and they look a bit like stained glass. Thanks for a great day, Grammy!

7 comments:

Eva McGann said...

Oh, that is such a fond memory that I have of doing the same thing with my grammy!! I will have to keep that one filed away and do the same with my grandbabies someday!! Love it!!

Brock and Kate said...

so fun! i wish i had thought to do that before they all went away! and yes, i want to do them myself, i don't need kids for silly crafts :)

Jenny said...

I love that activity. I didn't do it this year because I didn't know what to do with all the left over wax paper so I just didn't buy any...but now I wish I had. I think Isaac would have liked it. Maybe there is still time... :) Did you get the clothes I sent with Mom and Dad? I hope they work. Some of them are ones I meant to give away (someone gave them to me) but never got around to...they are kinda dated.

Chelsea said...

You do have such a wonderful mom and Grammy! What a fun project.

Melinda said...

Aw, fun memories! Grammy is the best :)

Greg and Michelle said...

Mom is the best! I picked up some leaves just yesterday, because they were so beautiful and I wanted to keep them. Right now I am enjoying them in my scriptures, but "stained glass" leaves would be so fun!

Celeste Elaine said...

Where's your turkey, Marie? She made this incredible side profile of a prolifically colorful leaf turkey. It rocked the window.