Monday, April 13, 2009

The last day of Spring Break

Today was the last day of Spring Break, so we jumped at the chance to spend the day with family. Grammy had planned a fun hike along the C&O Canal, so we tagged along and were joined by Grandma W and Laura as well. Good company=good times. It was a chilly day, but perfect weather for a stroll along a picturesque trail.

Emma was loving her baseball cap.
Here's the group at the mile marker. This was our turn-around spot. We went a little over a mile along the trail and then doubled back. I was so proud of Spencer, who was leading the pack most of the way (along with his buddies Trina and Joel). 2 miles of hiking - not bad for a little man.

Emma was a trooper too. She wanted to walk most of the time, but I was glad for the hiking pack and the ease it provides for taking little tikes on treks like this.
Sarah snapped this close-up of these gorgeous wildflowers. They were popping up everywhere!
Here's my favorite picture of the day. More to come on this little man. Can you believe that as of yesterday I have a FOUR YEAR OLD? He's one of my favorite people and a really great buddy to his sister. How can you not love someone this adorable?




8 comments:

Ellie said...

That is the cutest picture of Spencer! Where was your hike? It looks like it would be a fun/easy one to do with our kids.

Eva McGann said...

I love to hike and that was a great way to end Spring Break. Those flowers are gorgeous!

Melinda said...

Aww...I miss my little pirate buddy. I'm coming home soon!

Marie W said...

It's a GREAT hike for kids. There is a trail big enough for a car, and it is totally flat along the canal. It would be REALLY fun to mountain bike back to the rock quarry, which is about 2 1/2 miles back we think.

Just take White's Ferry (off 15), and park on the MD shore. The trail is directly behind the parking lot on the left. (You'll see an old railroad bridge that goes over the trail. We walked opposite of the bridge).

Jenny said...

It looks so pretty. I love the green. That is a great family activity. Grandpa's yard is starting to take on the spring colors. I think it will look really nice by the time you guys come out to visit. Too bad we will just miss you!

Janna said...

I knew you had a birthday sometime in April...and your kiddos. Many happy birthdays to the Wrides!

Celeste Elaine said...

Check out TRNA CHarlene in photos two and three! If that isn't a flirty smile, I don't know what is!

Marie and Adam, you have two amazing and beautiful children.
I can't wait to come home and be a better Aunt....and sister, for that matter. I want you to know, Marie, I thought of you all day on April 2nd, 3rd, and 4th....and I still forgot to call.

Apologies? I offer ten free nights of babysitting. Coupon redeemable in late June.

Never expires.

Marie W said...

Wow, Nessa! That's like the GREATEST present EVER! I'll take it.

LOVE and MISS you!