Sunday, June 22, 2008

Homes

We had a great Stake Conference this weekend. The focus of the adult session was Teaching the Gospel in our Homes. I am always impressed by the foresight, or shall we call it inspiration, of our Stake President. Here are a few things he said that stood out to me:
-Give children chores around the house; children devoid of responsibility fail to learn about serving others.
-Do not keep peace in the house by avoiding interaction with each other; the home is the greatest laboratory for learning how to resolve conflict.
-Our homes must be safe places for us as we stumble and fall.

It is on this last point I wish to comment further. Emma is learning to walk these days. I am delighted to note that Spencer, her elder and more experienced brother, wants to be involved in the process and help her along. Emma certainly has her share of "stumbles" and "falls" as she makes progress towards this next stage of her life; I want her AND my little Spencer to know that we are there to support and love them as they try new things and make their way through their own journeys in life.

2 comments:

Celeste Elaine said...

This is a great picture. I love hearing about how Spencer wants to get in on everything...especially the important big brother stuff. I am sorry that I missed talking to you guys when I called last night. I will have to touch base with you guys soon and catch up on how things are going with you all.
By the way...cutest kids of life. I love your family!

lori said...

Love these insights. Love that picture! Those two are growing up so fast!