Monday, January 28, 2008

President Hinckley


We received the news last night that President Hinckley had passed away when Adam's grandma from SLC called. It has been a time of reflection. President Hinckley has been an amazing prophet and has had much influence in my life. I can recall the first time I saw President Hinckley in person. When he walked into the room, I felt an overwhelming and immediate confirmation of his prophetic calling. That has been repeated many times as I have attended General Conference, BYU Devotionals, and other meetings where he has spoken. My two little ones were born during his time leading the church. I am particularly grateful for the vision that he had in building temples across the world, making those blessings available to so many. His tireless service is an inspiration to me; it makes me want to do more, to be more. According to one article I read, Bruce Olsen (church spokesman) has said of President Hinckley that "He was speaking in public as late as two to three weeks ago and had a full schedule in his office as late as last week." The song that has been going through my head today, and that which reverberates in my heart is "We Thank Thee, O God, For a Prophet." And now, I am grateful that our beloved President is once more with his beloved Marjorie.

*You can see some touching photo tributes here and here.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Marie,
I found your blog from your post on Trish's! It's so great to see you and your cute kids and family. Thanks for your words about President Hinckley. I've loved reading everyone's thoughts, memories and tributes to him.

Marie W said...

Amy! So nice to hear from you. Isn't it wonderful to share thoughts via blogs and reconnect with friends. I traced back through Trish's posts to find you and peruse what your fam has been up to. :0)