Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Let it Snow!

Admittedly, metric estimations are not my strong point, but I would say that I just swept a good 3-4 inches off our car, and it is still coming down (albeit more gradually than earlier today)! It was a glorious surprise to wake up to a white world this morning. I found a bit of time to peruse the blogs of some VA friends, and many are commenting on this wet, white phenomenon. Time to join the crowd!

Just after lunch, when there was a respectable amount of snow, I got the kids all gussied up in their winter weather gear, and we headed outside to take a few runs down the hill in the backyard. It took about half an hour to get ready (had to make sure Spencer had used the facilities and Emma had a dry diaper before putting on all those layers) and then we had a good 15 minutes of fun before the mittens were falling off and it was getting cold. I didn't fight it; we headed inside because I want to have LOTs of sledding parties this winter, so I didn't want any negative impressions of the first to ruin those in the future. We made a track down the hill and were careful not to walk on it as we trekked back up for more runs. We even made a few snowballs before heading back inside for hot cocoa. Spencer loves the snow - but he didn't appreciate the snowflakes falling in his eyes. Emma didn't seem to mind that at all. She was a happy little snow bunny. Spencer was a good big brother and held onto her - and then I onto him - during our sledding runs. It is nothing to compare with the sledding we used to do at my parent's place when I was young - or those down suicide hill before they leveled it out and built houses. But still, it was an appropriate celebration of the first snowfall of the year. Tonight, post shoveling, I plan to snuggle down with some hot cocoa by the lit Christmas tree. Adam's in Utah for a biz trip or else I'd be snuggling with him. Hot cocoa it is for tonight.

p.s. I know, I know...my kids look like that one character on the movie "The Christmas Story". At least they were protected against the elements.

5 comments:

Leslie said...

What cuties! Emma looks like she's having a ball. We can't WAIT to come and play!!

Just Katy said...

I'm So jealous. After all my anticipation the storm only gave us a light "dusting".

lori said...

What darling little snow angels!
Hope you guys continue to enjoy the season!

Chelsea said...

So cute! 15 minutes is about the perfect amount of time to be in the snow for me too. I prefer to enjoy its beauty from inside.

7Carters!E,H,V,B,R,C,E said...

It's my ironic favorite that it takes 30 mninutes on both sides of a 15 minute play time to get in and out of snow clothes! But it is all worth it! what a great borther and sister pair!!