Thursday, December 20, 2007

Chocolate Day

I'll be the first to admit that I am a binge blogger. There you have it. You'll hear nothing for weeks and then there will be three posts in a day. I blog as time permits, and I have just found a quiet moment.
Going through the pictures, I had to share this one:

This was taken at the Cummings' version of Chocolate Day. This is borrowed from a time-honored Wride Family Tradition. Let me just say that I married into the right family. :0)  Chocolate is of the utmost import around here. In fact, when Adam and I approached our first married Christmas, he made arrangements for Grandma Wride to teach me the art of dipping chocolates. It was a previously unknown but much enjoyed discovery that this is a requirement in Wride Christmas celebrations.

On the Wride side, Chocolate Day occurs first during election day - when the centers are made because the kids have a day off school. Then, the day after Thanksgiving is dipping day. Christmas music abounds, and people are light on their feet (much dancing occurs to the tracks of Trans-Siberian Orchestra), though their hands are heavy into mounds of melted chocolate. It is glorious!

The Cummings version of Chocolate day is scaled down a bit; we end up with 6 types of chocolate instead of the Wride pros'...hmm...17 I think it was this year. My favorite alternates between mint truffles and pecan turtles. Here is a picture of my "little" brother Dan and I dipping the latter. Okay...so that last picture won't upload. I'll try later.

4 comments:

lori said...

mmmmmmmmmmm!!

Amy said...

wow, a post starting off with the words "binge" and "chocolate" -- I thought this post was going in a different direction!! hehe

that sounds like the most awesome family tradition ever! a chocolate tradition! how neat!

Jillian said...

Hello Marie! I just found Katie's blog and linked to yours. This is Jill Stephenson/Juarez from BYU. Last time I saw you, you and Adam were newly weds! Congrats on the beautiful family. I mean it - your kids are super cute. So chocolate day sounds like a very fun tradition. I might have to adopt chocolate day as a new tradition for our family!

Marie W said...

Hey Jill!!! So good to hear from you. This IS a fabulous tradition. I highly recommend it. Are you blogging too?