Sunday, November 9, 2008

A little news from DC...

The topic of today's post is: MEETING THE PRESIDENT!!!! That's right, folks. Mr. President himself. My brother Aaron has a way cool job where he works on the President's Speech Writing Committee. As a perk, he gets special access to the West Wing of the White House (he gives an amazing tour, by the way) and to el presidente himself! Last Wednesday, Aaron took the family along to get a photo and brief audience with President George W. Bush. Dad got pretty excited about the opportunity and flew the college kids from UT to join in the fun. We were only missing Melinda (and OH how we missed you, Lin), who was kept hostage by a choir director who did not want to lose her for their dress rehearsal.

As we waited to meet Mr. President, the anticipation grew. By the time the door to the oval office opened for us, I honestly was more excited than when I was a kid and it was my turn to see Santa. I caught a glimpse of President Bush from the back of the family line, where I stood with Jenny and Dan. We watched him greet each member of our family. He first shook Aaron's hand and then exclaimed, "Where's the mother?" (He had been briefed that there were 11 kids in this fam). The president then gave Mom a warm cheek-to-cheek hug. She was glowing. Two aides (probably Secret Service dudes) moved the couches in the oval office back so the photographer could fit our family in the photo. Then they told us to spread out a bit, which was a bit of a surprise. (We're used to cramming together to fit in a Sears Portrait Studio - habit, I guess). The President, looking at our group, exclaimed, "Well, if you're a fan of family values like I am, this is heaven!"

Mr. President was very warm and folksy. He took the time to shake hands and speak with each member of our family. We even got a "You betcha". Toward the end of our visit, he called Mom back into the oval office (she had exited to the Rose Garden) and made the following statement: "People ask me what it's like. I tell them some days are happy, others not so good, all of them are joyous." I've been thinking about that and how it can apply to pretty much every role from President to parent.

I got the sense that President Bush is a truly good man. He has a tough job, and I continue to pray for him and the rest of our leaders.

Here are a few fabulous photos from our day at the White House:




CJ - How random that you would see my sister in the airport on her way home!!! Thanks for the encouragement to write up this post. :0)

10 comments:

R said...

Where's a picture with you and the President? I can't tell you how jealous I am!!! That is so unbelievably cool.

Melinda said...

Love the photos! I'm so glad you guys had the opportunity to go. I am also way sad that I wasn't there with you all...but I got some papers written and our concert was FABULOUS. So I guess there are pros and cons like with everything else in life! :) Love you!

Marie W said...

Melinda, next time we're calling President Samuelson to get you out of class. ;0)

Alas, the photos with the President are on the fancy White House camera. I am hoping we'll be sent copies, but no word on when as of yet.

Megan said...

today is my commenting day. that is so amazing! it isn't even very easy still to just get a regular boring tour but to actually meet the man himself that is awesome!!! it must have been cool to be on the inside of the fence while everyone is snapping their pictures from the street.

Kristin said...

Great picture of the Cummings clan! Such a good looking group!

Jason said...

This story is so cool. Great to catch up with you. Your Family is beautiful! Congrats to your brother!

Trish and Matt said...

First of all, congrats to Aaron on a very cool job. (I bet everyone who gave him a hard time about his love for literature as an undergrad is now regretting their words. :)

Second of all, how fun! Thanks for sharing.

Curtis Gibby said...

That's a really cool story -- I'm glad you got to meet the President before he left office.

Chelsea said...

That is awesome! What a cool memory for the whole family.

7Carters!E,H,V,B,R,C,E said...

THanks for sharing the story!! (Poor Celeste had weirdo me mostly eavesdropping to try and hear all about it...)
What a neat experience!